The Northcote Graduate Scholarship
The awards are to enable students normally resident in the UK to undertake a higher degree at an Australian university for up to three years.
The Britain-Australia Society administers the Northcote Graduate Scholarships on behalf of the Northcote Trust.
- Applicants need to ascertain their own eligibility for a postgraduate programme (MA or PhD) in Australia
- There is no limitation on the field of study
The scholarship provides:
- an economy return airfare to Australia
- payment of compulsory university fees and charges as specified in the FAQ
- a generous quarterly living allowance
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read the FAQ document thoroughly before contacting the office as the answer is likely to be there.
Note that the Britain-Australia Society does not provide the scholarship nor take part in the decision process, it only provides administrative support to the Trust.
- Application forms will be made available on this webpage from April
- The closing date for lodging applications is August 21st
- After the closing date submissions are distributed to an Evaluation Committee
- The Trustees then decide the scholarship awardee(s)
- The decision is communicated to all applicants approximately 2 months after submissions close (i.e. around the end of October)
Applications must be supported by:
- A statement from the applicant on the proposed course (1 or 2 pages)
- Two references from persons able to assess the academic potential and character of the applicant
- A statement from the host institution in Australia indicating that research can be appropriately pursued there and that the candidate is eligible and has been given provisional acceptance
- A statement of why the study must be undertaken in Australia
- A CV
- The above must be completed on the Northcote Graduate Scholarship application form
Obligations of scholarship awardees
- The flight out must be taken within one year of the award
- No funds above those stated will be entertained
- The award be granted for no longer than 3 years
- Scholars are responsible for arranging their own health cover, insurance etc.
- A yearly report must be submitted on progress and expenditure. This must be supported by course supervisors. Continuation of the grant depends on satisfactory reports
- A comprehensive report on completion of the study is also required
Application forms are published in April.
They are then also obtainable from The Northcote Trust Administrator:
The Northcote Trust
c/- The Britain-Australia Society
Please note that the scholarships
are awarded by the Northcote Trust.
The Britain-Australia Society only
acts as administrator for the Trust.